Web Design I :: Projects :: My Site
You are going to create a web site about any topic you want. In order to learn about content management systems (CMS) you will use one to create this website instead of using Dreamweaver. You should read this article about choosing the right CMS, but you will need to specifically think of these elements:
- Does it allow you to do everything to your site that you want to be able to do? For example, can you organize the pages of the site however you want by adding, editing, and deleting them?
- Is the editor easy to use. Does it give you the amount of control you want without letting you mess with the design too much?
- Does it allow you to add images and any other media you might need to add?
While you can choose any CMS you want, here are some of the most popular free systems:
- Google Sites
You will need to install WordPress on your YHSCS site. Ask Mr. Miller for help with this if you want to use WordPress.
- Complete the site design form before beginning your website.
- Create a Google document that contains your website address. Choose an address that fits the website content. If you are using WordPress, it has already been installed for you on the YHSCS website.
- Explain why you chose your CMS for this project in the Google doc.
- Make sure you answer the three questions above when explaining your CMS choice.
- Explain your color choices and make sure you specify what color scheme you are using (or the template is using if you are using a pre-made template). This should also be in your Google Doc.
- Check spelling and grammar. Many CMS programs have built in spell check, but you may need to copy-and-paste content into a word processor if they don't.